Becoming a Work of Art: Dharma Foundations Retreat
October 11 - October 13
A Dharma Foundations Retreat | October 10-13, 2019
It is “better to be a work of art than make a work of art.” -Namgyal Rinpoche
How can we feel more grounded and positive in our being?
In these busy, information-heavy times, this retreat is an opportunity to connect with yourself in a simple, beautiful, and powerful way.
Join this retreat and discover 2000-year-old Buddhist principles, the paramis. This practice helps meditators develop a solid foundation in their being so they can feel more love, fulfillment and joy in all areas of life.
Let your inner work of art flourish.
What are the Paramis?
Parami is a Sanskrit word for perfection. The paramis form the foundation for a meditation practice that is strong, fulfilling and profound.
Meet the Teachers of this retreat
Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat are Dharma and meditation teachers who founded Clear Sky Meditation Center.
Achariya Doug Duncan received lay ordination from Namgyal Rinpoche in 1978, and is a lineage holder in that teaching. Known for his direct, humourous and compassionate engagement with students, Doug embraces various traditions, contemporary psychology, and science, to mentor all beings to a more awakened state.
Catherine Pawasarat has trained daily with Acariya Doug Duncan since 1998 in an intensive spiritual apprenticeship that is rare in the modern West. She received lay ordination from Namgyal Rinpoche in 2003. In addition to Buddhist philosophy and its applications to daily life, Catherine also draws on generative living and the arts. With Doug she is co-founder of Clear Sky Retreat Center in the BC Rockies.
What’s Expected of Me if I Come to This Retreat?
- An open mind and heart, and a spirit of adventure are excellent things to bring!
- It’s human to have some apprehensions about doing something new, meeting new people, or going to a new place. Particularly when all three happen together. We try to make this as supportive as possible.
- When exploring our growth edges, it’s natural to feel uncertain and awkward. And it’s very fruitful to transform that emotional tension into creative energy by drawing on your own inner resources – such as inquiry, going with the flow, and self-reflection, just a few of the many kinds of constructive engagement.
- To maximize your learning, we ask that you refrain from reading, using the internet or listening to music during the course. We make an exception for journaling, course assignments and group celebration.
- Lastly, our teaching and Clear Sky operate based on the ancient tradition of dāna or generosity. Please learn more about this profound practice before you register.
Who are we?
To help you get acquainted with us, some community members made this short video during our 2017 Buddhas in Action retreat. To learn more about us and our incredible community, click here!
This is a meditation focused retreat. Your practice will be in silence with a focus on a combination of walking, sitting and standing meditation throughout the day. There will be a daily morning classes and evening meditation with Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat, as well as group meditation and personal meditation time.
In order to focus on your meditative work, we ask that participants put away your cellphone, books and digital technologies for the duration of the retreat.
Creating a strong discipline for your practice will make the retreat highly immersive, focused and profound.
This course is offered by Doug & Catherine Sensei based on the ancient principle of generosity, or Dāna. You may have come across this is the form of “pay from the heart”. Dāna is a Sanskrit term meaning “generosity”. With dāna, we give as a mutual exchange of generosity. It’s their joy to offer this course, and we trust you’ll match their time, energy, and passion by giving an amount of money that feels good and healthy.
Clear Sky is a 300-acre meditation cushion nestled in the Canadian Rocky mountains. We are 30 minutes from Cranbrook International airport in Cranbrook, B.C.
As a charitable organization, we strive to provide locally sourced organic meals and comfortable accommodations at an affordable price. Fees vary depending on your accommodation choice and early bird pricing. You can find more information on the course registration page.