Choosing a Meditation Retreat - Things to Know
(1) Meditation: where are you at?
(2) How far will your travel to meditate?
(3) A meditation retreat - are you sure?
(4) Your aspiration to meditate
(5) Manage your meditation retreat expectations
Lastly, please manage your expectations. Transitions in and out of retreat are important.
Here at Clear Sky Meditation Center in BC, Canada, we can help you with that. We suggest, for example, that you eat your first and last meal with us, rather than alone.
If you’d like some advice ahead of your choosing a meditation retreat, give us a call on 1-250-429-9249. In fact, if you book our retreat manager will take time to call and connect with you. And we like to stay in touch after you meditation retreat, too.
Who knows, maybe you are ready for a 3-night meditation retreat in BC. If you’re on the edge of a shift or transition, consider a longer stay.
Apply for our 3-month intensive Karma Yoga program, living and learning in an awakening community.
Meditation Retreats in BC or Elsewhere
Choosing a meditation retreat instead of what?
4) Your spiritual aspiration, or other motivation
- Are you on a spiritual journey? Is this just your first meditation retreat, with many more to come? Do you aspire to a one-month or a three-month retreat?
- Or, is it likely this is the one time you’ll experience a retreat – and you just want to try it so you can say you have?
5) Expectations for Your Meditation Retreat
Everthing is karma - whether it's ours or not
- Eat well, exercise, and stay hydrated before you come
- Maintain a regular meditation practice leading up to the retreat
- Read Dharma or listen to audio Dharma talks – keep the teachings strong in your mind
- Tidy up anything that may weigh on your mind during the retreat, such as bills or key communication
- Do your best to slow down your mind and body in the days leading to your retreat, instead of ‘getting everything done’
Short or even three-month long meditation retreat?
Bonus Checklist - Choosing a meditation retreat or retreat center
- Are you ready for a meditation retreat?
- Are you looking for something else, like teachers, teachings, or community?
- Length of time for your stay?
- How many days off work will you need to book?
- What’s your budget? Factor in travel and dana for meditation guidance.
- Does the center match your needs? People often need to know, for example, that we provide food, and our cabins have wood stoves and no power.
- Is the support available for you at your level? We have experienced guides to check in with each day.
- What are you waiting for? The best way to boost your practice is to do a retreat. The only way to make it happen is to go ahead and book. Or you can start by giving us a call. Our conscious community loves to hear from aspiring meditators and potential new spiritual friends.