Intermediate Meditator Package
For those looking to unplug the phone and plug into themselves
Meditation Retreats in Canada
Clear Sky Meditation Center’s personal retreat cabins:
- For those who already have or want to establish a regular meditation practice
- Structure, support, and guidance for newer meditators
- Flexibility to accommodate your individual practice
- Stays from three nights to three months
- Close to the US border and Calgary, and a short flight from Vancouver
Meditate in the B.C. Rockies
We can help you create a retreat that meets you where you’re at.
- Daily check-ins with an experienced guide
- Optional group meditations
- 2-3 hours of mindful activity (Karma Yoga) to ground and provide balance
- Books and materials available
Choose to meditate as much as possible, or include reading, journaling, and walking with your practice.
Or fill in the inquiry form at the bottom of this page
Choose this retreat if you:
- Have experience with meditation
- Have a regular practice or are trying to build a regular practice
- Can sit for at least 30 minutes comfortably
- Are looking for a supportive structure during your retreat
- Welcome a balance of formal sitting meditation and mindful activities (Karma Yoga) such as gardening. (See more below)
Although Clear Sky is a modern monastery, our personal retreats are designed for you to have solo time in silence, not to be part of the community or interact in the daily residential life of the Center.
– If you are looking for a community retreat experience this package will not be for you.
What to Expect
- A personal orientation when you arrive and an exit interview before you leave
- A daily check-in with an experienced guide
- An unplugged experience:
- Your cabin will have a lantern, wood stove, and propane heater
- Bathrooms, laundry, and electricity are nearby, in the building where you will eat
- Our cabins do not have electricity or plumbing.
- Local, organic, omnivore meals, mindfully prepared by meditators
- We adjust for dietary needs upon request
- Meals served to you and eaten alone or in silence with other meditators on personal retreat
- Mindful activity every day (Karma Yoga):
- Going from busy daily life into silence can be jarring. This is why we arrange 2-3 hours per day of mindful activity for our cabin retreatants.
- Through mindful engagement, Karma Yoga shows us how to integrate the meditative practice into our daily lives.
- Our retreatants repeatedly tell us how the mindful activity sessions helped them stay grounded during their retreat, and showed them how to practice off the cushion. Learn more here.
- We ask that you arrive by 3pm for your orientation on the day your retreat starts
- Meal times are fixed in alignment with the running of the center
- For an idea of how the rest of you stay might look, click to view a sample schedule below
What To Bring/ Travelling Here
See what to bring, ways to get here, and other general information about being at Clear Sky Meditation Center at different times of the years here.
What if I’m brand new to meditating?
We require that participants in our cabin retreats are comfortable meditating for at least 30 minutes regularly, with minimal support.
We love that you’re discovering the benefits of meditation. With your well-being in mind, if you are just beginning to meditate, you may not be ready for a solo cabin retreat with us. Although there’s a daily check-in, these retreats are in solitude, which can be unsettling for those who haven’t experienced silence and isolation for extended periods.
We suggest connecting with one of our local groups near you or taking one of our online options to help prepare for a personal cabin retreat. Connect with our local groups, learn more about our online classes, or follow some of our guided meditations.
In keeping with our Mission and Values, your health and wellness is our top priority. After thoughtful assessment, we are open for solitary retreats.
To participate in a retreat, you must follow the Province of British Columbia’s Social Interaction Guidelines for at least two weeks prior to your retreat.
If you have any questions about our policy, please contact Michelle, our incredible Sales Manager: [email protected]
- To facilitate transition in and out of retreat, normally your first and last meal would be with our founding teachers and/or Clear Sky residents. This would give you an opportunity to ask questions and get to know the team. However, due to current Covid restrictions we are unable to have you join the onsite team for meals.
Or fill in the inquiry form at the bottom of this page
“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.”
– Zen proverb
As busy Westerners, many of us are used to “doing” and simply doing nothing can be challenging.
Karma Yoga is the practice of bridging mindful awareness with your actions.
It is central to our practice at Clear Sky because we believe that bringing mindful awareness into our activities makes us more more clear, compassionate and effective at work, at home and in our relationships. And from there we can change the world!
That is why we offer a package that gives you a few hours a day of scheduled time for individual meditative service activity. During your retreat you will be given simple tasks.
Your mindful Karma Yoga may include seasonal activities such as:
- General maintenance on the property (for example, chopping firewood or shovelling snow in the fall and winter)
- Gardening, weeding, and harvesting in our garden or food forest (spring & summer)
- Simple ironing or cleaning activities
Your practice is to bring awareness to the feelings, sensations and thoughts that arise while doing the task.
Other retreatants find this a very supportive part of their day, particularly in a short retreat. They report feeling more energized and focussed when they go back to their formal practice.
Mentoring is when an experienced meditator meets with you on a set schedule each day, and may include:
– guidance on techniques and tools
– information on wisdom traditions and teachings
– direction to books from the Clear Sky library
– questions and answers
– provides a supportive container to you in your practice, as someone with years of experience who has been there too
– is a practicing awakening being (a practicing meditator)
– is trainer and teacher of buddhadharma, wisdom traditions, Clear Sky’s five principles, conscious living, shadow work, and Karma Yoga
The mentoring is given freely by a Clear Sky resident or senior student, and follows the practice of dana which may be paid on registration or when onsite.
We’re in the East Kootenays B.C., Canada, an hour from the US border and four hours from Calgary by car. The nearest town is Cranbrook, and we are 40 minutes from the Canadian Rockies International Airport. Click here to see a map of our location.
We specialize in providing retreat space for people who have, or are trying to re-establish a regular meditation practice. As a guideline, we ask that you are used to sitting for 30 minutes or longer for several periods a day