Kitchen Manager Karma Yoga Position
Please read our main page, the Karma Yoga Service Program before applying for this role
Are you seeking a transformative experience that goes deeper than your daily routine? Or are you tired of the stress and dullness of your worklife? Are you in transition and looking for a fun and supportive environment to clean up big areas of your life and strengthen your spiritual growth?
If so, we invite you to apply for our Karma Yoga position at Clear Sky Meditation Centre.
Starting date: November/December 2017
Hours per Week: 40
Apply: through our main Karma Yoga Service Stay Program page.
“When I came to Clear Sky I had been a Professional Cook for 22 years, 6 of those as a head Chef and 7 running my own Food Service Business. In the 2 years I spent at Clear Sky I saw and faced more about what was holding me back than in all of the years previous. The time I have spent contributing through Karma Yoga has been the best investment in my own growth as a person and as Chef that I have ever made. If there are areas in yourself or your work you just can’t seem to get a handle on then time at Clear Sky will bring that shadow into the light where you can let it all go.”
Stephen Gilmour, Chef
Kitchen Manager Karma Yoga Position
Clear Sky Meditation and Study foundation has an opening in its Karma Yoga program for an experienced, talented, resourceful, and creative individual to take on the role of Kitchen Manager. This is a great full-time opportunity for an experienced and creative whole foods-oriented individual to lead Clear Sky Center’s kitchen team of karma yogi volunteers.
While at Clear Sky, you will find that conversations shape your unfoldment and the space that you share with others. In addition to your core activities, you will participate in Clear Sky’s dynamic and exciting Karma Yoga personal development program. This program brings adventuresome individuals together to explore, question, and learn in individual and group contexts. Through meditation, group interaction, wisdom teachings and study, you will enter Clear Sky’s leading edge environment wherein the training for personal and group unfoldment is the central purpose.
As Kitchen Manager, you recognize the value that structure and routine have within a vibrant organization. You will be responsible for food quality, the smooth operation of the kitchen and for keeping food spending within the set budget. Every day, you are invaluable to the entire team because your contribution mourishes and energizes everyone at the centre. People often return to Clear Sky for our quality, mostly organic and mindfully made food. Some of our food is grown onsite and the remainder is sourced as locally as possible. We pride ourselves on being able to integrate our garden into our meals and to support our neighbours and local growers.
Responsibilities include menu planning, purchasing/ordering, cooking and ensuring that 3 nourishing buffet-style meals are provided daily.
Daily you will:
- Oversee the harmonious operation of our kitchen. A kitchen space that is honoured is a big reward to everyone involved
- Provide wholesome, nutritionally balanced buffet-style breakfasts, lunches and dinners for up to 30 people
- Contribute and cost recipes
- Maintain food costs, oversee inventories, order and shop weekly inside the budget
- Coordinate weekly menus from a 21-day menu cycle that is seasonally responsive, incorporating produce from our garden and orchards as well as from local growers
- Train and oversee karma yogis in the kitchen
- Work with the Clear Sky Treasurer to review budgets and expenditures
- Oversee recurring Karma Yogi cooking schedules
- Our needs vary based on the programs that are running at any given time, thus we are seeking an open-minded individual who is willing to contribute to the smooth operation of the center in the above mentioned areas as well as in other potential areas of need.
- Kitchen experience, first cook and above, preferably with culinary training and at least one year’s cooking experience
- Excellent supervisory and interpersonal skills, conversation impacts and creates the space we work in
- Food Safe Level 1 certified
- Self-discipline and a sincere desire to provide excellent service
- Organizational skills and ability to create a positive, motivated workplace and to work effectively in an innovative and multi-tasking environment
- Sincere interest in participating in a spiritual community; meaning a desire to learn and practice meditative techniques and a willingness and ability to engage in honest communication.
Why immerse yourself in a spiritual community?
In short, it’s easier with others. Modern living demands much of our energy and resources on a daily basis. This makes it challenging to find the resources (will, time and/or money) to actually spend an extended period of time in retreat and/or in depth exploration. Spending time in the embrace of a spiritual container, like that of a retreat center, is deeply nourishing and transformative. The supportive and often invisible conditions the retreat container and an awakening community provides, can spark small and often profound changes on one’s life path. This heightened awareness and depth of experience, facilitates your ability to deeply appreciate and focus on what really matters.
A deep diving immersion experience like this is not easy to find and makes for rich rewards for those who do. (Added benefits are spending quality time in community and nature, including with Sonora- one of our residential teachers’ horse, who brings ongoing opportunities to connect deeply and mirror our mind states back to us more frequently.) Quickly you can develop and broaden your skillsets, inner strength, and confidence. Over the years, we have seen our participants leave much more connected to themselves and others. They are more energized, and focused, able to show up, communicate and participate in their world, in more meaningful ways.
Length of Stay
The 2017 Kitchen Manager Karma Yoga position is a three month or longer commitment, with a one month trial period. If you are a member of our community and would like to apply to spend some time in this role and some time in retreat, this is also possible.
In exchange for your time, energy and expertise you will have the opportunity to participate in Clear Sky’s vibrant awakening community through its Karma Yoga Program. This includes your food & accommodation, regular meditation instruction & practice, training in how to put spirituality into practice in daily life, effective communication, teamwork and much more. The structure and routine of life at Clear Sky work to create a container for your spiritual unfolding.
This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity that will expand your ideas of what you’re capable of. As a Karma Yogi, you’ll be supported in exploring your potential for more – more joy, more compassion, more lightness, and more strength. You will find more energy as big areas of your life are cleaned up. The beauty of this opportunity is that you can experience this abundance through serving and engaging with others who are walking the same path, with a compassionate dedication to growing for the benefit of everyone! It is easier with others.
How to Apply
Read more about our Karma Yoga Service Stay program HERE.