Karma Yoga –Service Stay Opportunity:
This is a great full-time opportunity for an experienced and creative whole foods-oriented individual to lead Clear Sky Center’s kitchen team of volunteers.
In exchange for your time, energy and expertise you will have the opportunity to participate in Clear Sky’s vibrant awakening community through its Karma Yoga Program. This includes your food & accommodation, regular meditation instruction & practice, training in how to put spirituality into practice in daily life, effective communication, team work and much more.
This is not simply a volunteer opportunity; Karma Yoga is not merely about fulfilling a job description, it’s not all about what you do, but how you engage with others to produce an outcome that’s greater than yourself. This is a challenging and rewarding opportunity that will expand your ideas of what you’re capable of. As a Karma Yogi, you’ll be supported in exploring your potential for more – more joy, more compassion, more lightness, and more strength. The beauty of this opportunity is that you can experience this abundance through serving and engaging with others who are walking the same path, with a compassionate dedication to growing for the benefit of everyone!
Starting date: Asap
Hours per Week: 40
You will report to the Kitchen Manager and will be responsible for food quality, the smooth operation of the kitchen and helping to keep food spending within the set budget. Tasks will include menu planning, purchasing/ordering, and cooking, as well as serving 3 nourishing buffet-style meals daily. People often return for our food which is mostly organic, grown onsite or as local as possible. We pride ourselves on being able to integrate our garden into our meals and to support our neighbours and local growers.
- Oversee the harmonious operation of our kitchen
- With the direction of the Kitchen Manager: provide wholesome, nutritionally balanced buffet-style (fixed menu) breakfasts, lunches and dinners for up to 30 people (depending on the season).
- Contribute recipes and put together a weekly menu from costed recipes. Order and shop weekly inside the budget.
- Cook from a 10-day menu cycle that is seasonally responsive and that incorporates produce from our garden and orchards as well as from local growers
- Maintain food costs and assist with ordering and inventories
- Train and oversee volunteers in the kitchen
- Work with Clear Sky managers to review budgets and expenditure, coordinate staffing schedules and the integration of the kitchen into the overall functioning of our center.
- Make creative and effective use of ingredients and leftovers
- Accurately match amount of food cooked to the number of people being served
- Our needs vary based on the programs that are running at any given time, thus we are seeking an open-minded individual who is willing to contribute to the smooth operation of the center in the above mentioned areas as well as in other potential areas of need.
- Kitchen experience, first cook and above, preferably with culinary training
- At least one year’s cooking experience providing buffet-style meals in camps, lodges or retreat centers
- Menu development skills for wholesome, nutritionally balanced meals
- Adaptability to work with seasonal foods that are grown onsite and locally
- Excellent supervisory and interpersonal skills
- Food Safe Level 1 certified
- Self-discipline and a sincere desire to provide excellent service
- Organizational skills and ability to create a positive, motivated workplace and to work effectively in an innovative and multi-tasking environment
- Sincere interest in participating in a spiritual community; meaning a desire to learn and practice meditative techniques and a willingness and ability to engage in honest communication.
- Appreciative that living & working with the on-site team & staff dedicated to Awakening in this lifetime is a rare and precious opportunity
How to Apply
We invite eligible candidates to join us for a three-month commitment with a one-month trial period. We offer a supportive and challenging workplace where communication and personal growth are highly valued. As mentioned above, interest and participation in mindfulness and awakening in community are required. No religious affiliation or meditation experience is required. Come join us, learn how to engage, enliven and grow yourself and those around you! Please email your resume and application form (available at http://www.clearskycenter.org/karma-yoga/ky-scholarship) to: email@example.com
Read more about what is karma yoga HERE.